Printable Practice / Meet Calendar
2020 Practice Schedule
Practices begin April 27th, 2020. From April 27th until May 29th all practices will be afternoon only. Starting June 1st, practices shift to mornings (with afternoon practice only available with advance permission from the Head Coach).
April 27th - May 29th
School Swim Practice Schedule:
|Monday - Thursday||Friday|
|6 & Under:||5:40 pm - 6:15 pm||5:20 pm - 5:50 pm|
|7 - 8:||5:00 pm - 5:40 pm||4:50 pm - 5:20 pm|
|9 - 10:||4:15 pm - 5:00 pm||4:15 pm - 4:50 pm|
|11 - 12:||6:15 pm - 7:15 pm||5:50 pm - 6:50 pm|
|13 & Older:||7:15 pm - 8:15 pm||5:50 pm - 6:50 pm|
June 1st - June 26th
Summer Swim Practice Schedule
|Monday - Friday|
|6 & Under:||7:15 am - 7:50 am|
|7 - 8:||7:50 am - 8:30 am|
|9 - 10:||8:30 am - 9:15 am|
|11 - 12:||9:15 am - 10:15 am|
|13 & Older||10:15 am - 11:15 am|
June 1st - June 26th
Summer Afternoon Swim Practice Schedule
* Only with advance permission from the Head Coach
|Monday - Wednesday|
|8 & Under:||5:30 pm - 6:15 pm|
|9 & Up:||6:15 pm - 7:30 pm|
All practices are held at the Main Amenity Center pool located at 10121 Morgan Creek Dr, Austin, TX 78717.
SWIM SUITS —Please have your child wear an appropriate racing style swim suit to practice. We do not recommend sun shirts or sun suits as they will slow the swimmers down and inhibit their stroke development.
RED PRACTICE CAP — Please write your child's name in black sharpie clearly and largely on the red practice caps. Children look the same in suits, goggles, and caps; this will help the coaches identify and learn your swimmers name during the first month of practice.
FINS — Fins are required for practice, especially for the younger swimmers it will help them build leg strength and keep up during the first weeks of practice.
KICKBOARDS — The team has kickboards for our Redfish to use in training. If a swimmer brings their own kickboard make sure it is identifiable.
GOGGLES — There are many goggles made for "kid-sized-eyes." We would suggest trying on a few goggles for fit. Speedo, TYR, and Water Gear all make simple goggles that should offer a good fit for children. Take the goggles carefully out of the box. Place eye pieces on eyes. Press lightly but firmly. If it is a good fit the goggles should seal and stay "sucked-on" the eye socket area for a few seconds. And, while the large lenses may work great for snorkeling — remember that's not what we're doing at the pool. Super-sized goggles don't stay on as easily when diving in. We also recommend getting a second spare set of goggles for the meets. This will come in very handy!
SHIRT — Each swimmer receives a classic current year t-shirt with registration. Additional spirit gear can be purchased at orientation.
REDFISH TEAM SUIT — Team swimsuit fitting schedules will be provided to the team.
CAPS — It is required that all swimmers with shoulder length hair or longer wear a cap at all swim meets, furthermore, it is suggested that all swimmers wear swim caps at meets to promote team identification and spirit. At all swim meets, it is required that the official Redfish swim cap be worn.
Age Groups 8 & Under:
- Practice will be canceled for severe storms thunder and lightning.
- Practice will be cancelled for a combination of pool temps below 75 and air temperatures below 70 with wet ground.
- Dry land will be held if we have dry ground with a pool temp below 75
- Practice will be held if pool temp is 75 and above.
Age Groups 9 & Up:
- Practice will be cancelled for severe storms thunder and lightning.
- Practice will be cancelled for a combination of pool temps below 73 and air temperatures below 70 with wet ground.
- Practice will be held if pool temp is 73 and above.
For all age groups: Pool temperature will be posted on the website New's feed and on Facebook. Parents can and should use their discretion if their child should attend.
Policies and proceedures are in place to ensure that everyone has a good time and all are protected. Please read the following practice policies as they will be strictly enforced.
- Swimmers are to practice in their designated age-groups unless other arrangements have been made with prior coach's approval.
- Swimmers are to attend only ONE practice per day.
- Per league rules, swimmers must swim in 2 practices per week prior to a swim meet to be eligible to swim. Vacations and illness absences are at the coach's discretion.
- There is no sibling swimming on Monday's; only the Redfish are allowed to be in the water during their scheduled practice time.
- You are responsible for your child before and after practice. Please keep an eye on your child to make sure that they are safe around the pool.
- Please allow the coaches to make the most of the practice for all swimmers by staying back from the pool. We’re happy to have parents sit on the deck and observe practice, but please do not interrupt the coaches or swimmers. Swimmers do best when they can fully focus on the coach during the swim practice. If you have questions for the coaches, it’s best to contact them before or after the start of practice or email the Head Coach to schedule a time to discuss specific concerns.
- Expectations for swimmers – Please ensure that your child arrives by the start of their practice time. This will allow the coaches to organize each workout based on attendance for the practice and allows swimmers in not trying to catch up with the rest of the group. Swimmers are expected to be able to swim the full 25 meters of the pool, unassisted, without touching the lane lines and/or the walls. If swimmers are unable to swim the length unassisted, it may be recommended that they drop from the team and spend this year in lessons to prepare for the next year. Swimmers who are asked to drop from the team will be refunded their registration fees less a $25 non-refundable administrative fee.
- Children are allowed in the swim team portion of the pool only at their designated practice time. If not practicing, they need to stay off the deck where the coaches will be walking and working with swimmers.
- The flex lane is for resident lap swimming. If a resident is here to use the pool, non-practicing swimmers and siblings should use the circle pool.